Monday 15 November 2010

Bookbinding Workshop

Taking part in Mette-Sofie Ambeck's bookbinding workshop at Uni was one of the best ideas I ever had! She taught us how to make a hard-back book from scratch. Here is the book I made during the workshop, using random paper for the pages.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And here's one I made earlier... Some friends and I went to the bookbinding shop in London to buy some vital bookbinding supplies, and since then, using my ever growing pile of dissertation books as a home-made press, I was able to produce a small black hardback book.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I made much more mistakes this time (especially with the spine!) so I learnt a lot more but I managed to emboss the front cover.

I wanted to learn this skill, not just because it's completely awesome, but because the project I am working on at present has to be made into a book, and I may also make books for my FMP. It's also just a really nice skill to have; I could make little mock-ups of something I need to publish, or simply make quirky limited edition books featuring my Illustrations.

It's an amazing skill to have, I strongly recommend doing a bookbinding workshop, if for nothing else, just for the fun of making books.

All the best,

xLouisax

1 comment:

  1. Those books look really wonderful! I'm so jealous that you can do that!!

    ReplyDelete